Sophomores and Juniors (Institutional Endorsement Required)
Campus Deadline: Friday 3rd December 2021
The Goldwater Scholarship Program, seeks to identify and support college sophomores and juniors who show exceptional promise in STEM fields. Each Goldwater Scholar annually receives an amount equal to the cost of tuition, mandatory fees, books, and room and board minus the amount of support provided for by other sources, up to a maximum of $7,500. Scholars who receive the award as sophomores can expect to receive support for a maximum of two years (4 semesters) or until graduation, if sooner. Scholars who receive the award as juniors can expect to receive support for a maximum of one year (2 semesters) or until graduation, if sooner.
The characteristics the Foundation seeks in a Goldwater Scholar include:
- strong commitment to a research career in the natural sciences, mathematics and engineering,
- effective display of intellectual intensity in the sciences, mathematics and engineering, and
- potential for a significant future contribution to research in their chosen field.
- A complete online application (including short essay responses and research essay, and transcripts); are required by the campus deadline.
- An internal Goldwater panel will assess applications and provide feedback.
- ONSA will institutionally endorse four applicants and 1 transfer student.
- Three letters of recommendation are required.
- A full-time matriculated sophomore or junior pursuing a degree at UM during the 2021-2022 academic year
- Intend to pursue a research career in a natural science, mathematics or engineering
- Have a GPA of at least a 3.00 on a 4.00 scale
- Must be a U.S. citizen
Videos and Workshops:
Goldwater Scholar NSF-GRFP Webinar
There are many things you can do to become competitive for such awards. It all starts with becoming engaged with your classes, your professors, and your community–starting your freshman year!
The key to a strong application is…START EARLY! Follow these steps to schedule your appointment!
STEP 1: Look through the Handbook or Website to identify potential awards.
- Each award description in the handbook or website includes eligibility, a description, application procedures, and links to videos/webinars.
- Some awards identify “institutional endorsement required” or “institutional endorsement recommended”. In order to be endorsed by ONSA and the university of Mississippi you must have a complete application by the campus deadline.
STEP 2: Complete the Fellowship Interest Form (required)
STEP 3: Make an appointment with a Fellowship Advisor (strongly recommended)
STEP 4: If you apply for a national fellowship, you will need to complete the Nomination Permission Form and Waiver (required)