Fulbright UK Summer Institute
Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors who will complete a fifth year.
- UM Deadline: None
- National Deadline: Early February
- Endorsement: Not required.
There are several UK Summer Institutes available every year. Each Institute is hosted by a different university, and each focuses on a specific historical or cultural context, or a subject or topic. You do not need to be familiar with these to apply and are encouraged to explore your interests.
Depending on the Institute, students will have the opportunity to:
- Study alongside leading academics and professionals
- Develop knowledge in specific fields
- Experience cultural and social events
- Visit UK cultural sites and areas of scenic beauty
- Receive credit to transfer to their home institution
- Meet people from different backgrounds and cultures
- Become an ambassador for studying in the UK, for the Fulbright Commission and their host institution(s)
The Institute costs covered by the Fulbright Commission and its partner institutions include:
- Return US-UK airfare
- Tuition and fees at the host institution
- In some cases, a small daily allowance for meals
The best applications are from well-rounded students who can demonstrate:
- Strong academic ability
- Ambassadorial skills
- Intercultural sensitivity
- Genuine desire to learn more about the UK and to share aspects of American culture
- Extracurricular activities
- Community involvement
- Leadership potential
- Plans to further the Fulbright mission and give back to the US upon returning
Applications are currently closed and will open in late November. When applications open, applicants should follow the steps outlined below.
- Read the FAQs and terms and conditions
- Apply online and upload a transcript to the application form as a PDF (official transcripts are preferred)
- Select two (2) references and enter their email addresses into the application. They should receive a notification message that will lead them to their own online portal to submit a reference letter.
- The application form must be completed, with transcript attached, and submitted before the deadline. Your references should also submit your letters before the deadline or your application will be incomplete. An application will not be considered completed if any of these items are missing or submitted late.
- Finalists will be invited to interview in April. Summer Institute interviews are by video conference call and can only be rescheduled under extreme circumstances.
- Be a US citizen and possess a US passport
- Have had no or very little study/travel experience outside of North America
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.7
- Be at least 18 years old by the start of the programme
- Be able to participate in the programme in its entirety
- Have at least two years of undergraduate study remaining after the Institute finishes
The key to a strong application is…START EARLY! Follow these steps to schedule your appointment!
- Each award description in the handbook or website includes eligibility, a description, application procedures, and links to videos/webinars.
- Some awards identify “institutional endorsement required” or “institutional endorsement recommended”. In order to be endorsed by ONSA and the university of Mississippi you must have a complete application by the campus deadline.
STEP 2: Complete the Fellowship Interest Form (required)
STEP 3: Make an appointment with a Fellowship Advisor (strongly recommended)
STEP 4: If you apply for a national fellowship, you will need to complete the Nomination Permission Form and Waiver (required)