Junior, Senior, and Masters students
- UM Deadline: None
- National Deadline: January
- Endorsement: Not required
The ISTernship (“IST-” + “(int)ernship“) is a summer internship program through the Institute of Science and Technology Austria (ISTA) for bachelor’s and master’s students who are looking to expand their scientific research experience. Every summer since 2013, selected students join the ISTernship program and work closely with our faculty or a lab member on a short research project.
As part of the application, prospective interns choose a group to work in, and successful applicants agree on a research project with the group leader.
Upon arrival, ISTerns receive an introduction to research at ISTA as well as an introduction to the ISTA Graduate School. The program culminates with a poster session, where ISTerns present their work to peers, faculty and lab mentors.
Internships are full-time and will be conducted exclusively in English.
For more information and frequently asked questions, see the ISTernship FAQ.
- Students are asked to upload the following documents to the application portal:
- Statement of purpose
- University transcripts and diplomas of all degree programs and all years you have attended and/or are currently enrolled in (we recommend to submit these in the original language as well as in English)
- Contact information of 1 or 2 referees
- Register and login to access the internship database. Complete the online application form and upload all necessary documents.
- The application opens in December.
- Candidates must be enrolled Bachelor- or Master of Science students (or similar) in good standing at a degree-granting institution. They must have completed at least the fourth semester of their bachelor’s studies before the respective start date. Students accepted to or enrolled in a PhD program are not eligible to apply.
The key to a strong application is…START EARLY! Follow these steps to schedule your appointment!
- Each award description in the handbook or website includes eligibility, a description, application procedures, and links to videos/webinars.
- Some awards identify “institutional endorsement required” or “institutional endorsement recommended”. In order to be endorsed by ONSA and the university of Mississippi you must have a complete application by the campus deadline.
STEP 2: Complete the Fellowship Interest Form (required)
STEP 3: Make an appointment with a Fellowship Advisor (strongly recommended)
STEP 4: If you apply for a national fellowship, you will need to complete the Nomination Permission Form and Waiver (required)