James C. Gaither Junior Fellows Program (Carnegie Endowment)
Rising seniors and graduates within the last year
- UM Deadline: November
- National Deadline: January
- Endorsement: UM Nomination is Required. Learn more about ONSA and the nomination process.
Each year, through the James C. Gaither Junior Fellows program, the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace offers approximately 12 one-year fellowships. They are selected from a pool of nominees nominated by several hundred participating universities and colleges. James C. Gaither Junior Fellows work as research assistants to Carnegie’s senior scholars. Positions are paid, full-time positions for one year. The current salary is $1,750.00 per semi-monthly pay period ($42,000 per year). A full benefits package is also provided.
The program generally sends information to the Office of National Scholarship Advisement by the first week of October each year. Information is updated annually and essay topics change from year to year. Interviews to take place February/March
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States for a full twelve months (approximately August 1 through July 31 following graduation).
- Students on F-1 visas who are eligible to work in the United States for the full year may apply for the program.
Endorsement by Office of National Scholarships (Dr. Ibrahim)
There are many things you can do to become competitive for such awards. It all starts with becoming engaged with your classes, your professors, and your community–starting your freshman year!
The key to a strong application is…START EARLY! Follow these steps to schedule your appointment!
- Each award description in the handbook or website includes eligibility, a description, application procedures, and links to videos/webinars.
- Some awards identify “institutional endorsement required” or “institutional endorsement recommended”. In order to be endorsed by ONSA and the university of Mississippi you must have a complete application by the campus deadline.
STEP 2: Complete the Fellowship Interest Form (required)
STEP 3: Make an appointment with a Fellowship Advisor (strongly recommended)
STEP 4: If you apply for a national fellowship, you will need to complete the Nomination Permission Form and Waiver (required)